The Sollas township in North Uist
was formed 100 years ago in 1899. For 50 years from the time of the 'Clearances',and
prior to this formation Sollas had been occupied by a succession of tacksmen.
Today all the crofts except one are occupied by descendants of the original
crofters who settled here a century ago. Many of these original crofters
came from Heiskeir. This event was celebrated this year and a memorial
site officially opened in July 1999.
To return to struan cottage
To see Heiskeir
To see more photos of Heiskeir
July 17 1999 North Uist Games - Sollas Machair.
Unveiling of Sollas Plaque 7.00pm
Fred and Cathy
Laclan , Fred Macaulay and Iain Macdonald
Unveiling of Grenitote Plaque
July 28 Fishing Competition
Walk to Sgurra - Bonfire at 9.30pm
Taigh Sgoile.. Teas and Exhibition 14th July - 11 August (11am to 4pm)
Ongoing photographic exhibition and series of 5 lectures from April